Forum Header

Share |

[ Home ] [ Pond Kits ] [ Pond Plants ] [ Pond Supplies ] [ Premium Koi ] [ Pond & Plant Forum ] [ Site Map ]
--
 A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Click Letter for Pond Products or Pond Plants
-

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 11:39:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
72795 Posts in 4345 Topics by 591 Members
Latest Member: Vilgro
Search: Advanced search
+ Pond Plants Forum - Koi Forum - Pond Products Forum
|-+ Forum Front Page
| |-+ Aquatic Plants
| | |-+ Koi are eating my pond plants!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Koi are eating my pond plants!  (Read 2979 times)
Mona
Puddle Jumper

Pond and Koi Member

Koi are eating my pond plants!
« on: July 02, 2006, 09:27:40 PM »

I have an 11 x 8 pond and I just added 2 Koi to the pond with some existing goldfish and now some of my pond plants are getting eaten to death.

My Water Lilly has holes all in it and my some of my reeds are all bear root at the top and don't look healthy.  What plants will koi not eat?  Can I make them stop eating my Lilly?

The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

Re: Koi are eating my pond plants!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 10:50:50 PM »

Koi eating plants is a problem. They are likely to chomp on things out of sheer boredom. If you have a bunch of floating water hyacinth they will snip at the roots and in most cases the hyacinth grows fast enough to take the pressure of being eaten if it is just constant nibbles. I wish I could say for certain that a particular type of plant is guaranteed to be Koi proof, but I cannot. Water Lettuce is one of their favorites though if you want to get some of those to sacrifice hoping they leave the rest alone.

No you can't take my constitutional rights away from me, I am still using them!

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson, March 4, 1801

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Glenn
Founding Member
Pond Guru

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 08:51:21 AM »

I have a 8' x 16' pond (1800 Gal) I have created built in Bog planters so the Koi dont bother them much. I have 1/3 of my pond filled with water lettuce, this helps with some algae problem but it also give the Koi a food sorce, the water lettuce reproduces like Strawberries and pretty fast I Have had to thin out my water lettuce twice this year so far. I live in the South and this year the heat and lack of rain has made my algae problem real bad with string algae so I'm getting some liquid barley and brushes for my skimmer and adding a UV clairifier to help, You pond look very nice, Water lilies usally like a real calm water surface, with your fountain do you have a problem with too much water movement for the lilies?

"I Like to start with a clean piece of paper and a Dirty Mind"

Click for Gulfport, Mississippi Forecast
Mona
Puddle Jumper

Pond and Koi Member

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:25:13 PM »

So far my lilies have been doing ok.  I moved them to the back area of the pond where the fountain doesn't hit them and turned down the fountain some.  I've been watching them for the last few weeks since the koi are eating the lily so much.
Glenn
Founding Member
Pond Guru

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:33:37 PM »

I have 14 Koi in my pond ranging from 4" to 12" and they dont eat my Lillies, but I have water lettuce and Anicirus for them to eat and they do eat that so they leave my lillies alone

"I Like to start with a clean piece of paper and a Dirty Mind"

Click for Gulfport, Mississippi Forecast
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 5.094 seconds with 21 queries.