Forum Header

Share |

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
72863 Posts in 4360 Topics by 738 Members
Latest Member: qamerw5
Search: Advanced search
+ Pond Plants Forum - Koi Forum - Pond Products Forum
|-+ Forum Front Page
| |-+ Product Review's
| | |-+ Muck
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Muck  (Read 2744 times)
bunnymp
Pond Guru

Long Island, NY

Re: Muck
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »

Small water changes should be done routinely. 
The pro is that it helps the water quality which helps your fish.  The con is that you may have to adjust your water parameters if the water change effects your gH, kH, Salt level, etc. 
mollysma
Pond Guru

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 01:36:25 PM »

Thanks...I guess I need to buy me a test kit too  Embarrassed  I'm in the process of doing a water change right now, and I'm thinking of going and buying a wet/dry shop-vac. Will that work for vacuuming the stuff off of the sides of the pond?? Those pond vacs are just too darned expensive!! Has anyone ever tried one of those pond vacs that just attaches to your water hose??

live and learn...and try to enjoy it all in the process
bunnymp
Pond Guru

Long Island, NY

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »

I use the type that attaches to the garden hose and it is great.  I wouldn't spend the $$ on the other type. 
Test kits are a must.  You need to test ammonia, pH, gH, kH, nitrites and nitrates.  If you use salt, you should get a salt meter or test kit too.
plays with fish
Pond Guru

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »

I tried the hose sweeper, but I have gravel on the bottom....so it didn't work well for me! 
mollysma
Pond Guru

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »

OK, thanks I may have to invest in one of the hose-type vacs. Do they work like a syphon or just from the hose pressure? My only worry is my pond is pretty deep and set far down in the ground and a syphon doesn't work that way. I hate to buy one if it's not gonna work. I know the water pressure is OK though. I did do another water change yesterday and got rid of a LOT of the stuff. I guess I'm just gonna have to break down and spend some more $$$!!!!  Shocked

bunnymp
Pond Guru

Long Island, NY

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

My pond is rock lined and I do not have any issues with the garden hose muck vac.  But my ponds' deepest level is only about 3 feet.
mollysma
Pond Guru

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »

Can you tell my what type/brand that you have and where you got it? I've seen a few different types and some look better than others. Has anyone ever tried a plain ole' shop vac? I used one last spring when we did a complete clean out of the pond, but I've never tried one for just maintenance.

jimr
Pond Guru

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »

A shop vac will work but it will only run a short time ( maybe 1 min.) before it needs emptying. My pond vac shuts off automatically when full and empties it self and starts back up when empty. Even this is a pain.  The best pond vacs have 2 chambers so they run continuously.

Click for Waukesha, Wisconsin Forecast
bunnymp
Pond Guru

Long Island, NY

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 07:56:38 PM »

I am not sure of brand, but this looks like the one I own.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5565&cmpid=11csems&ref=4624&subref=AA

* Telescopic pond vacuum system for convenient removal of pond muck
* Muck-Vac uses water pressure to siphon away pond debris
* Handy vacuum simplifies upkeep of ponds and water gardens

Keep ponds and water fountains clean and clear with the Muck-Vac. Eliminates muck and fish waste without causing turbidity. Makes your job easier because you don't have to displace fish or plants. Also lowers the water level so the pond is ready for new clean water. Built without moving parts so it lasts longer. Simply attach the Muck-Vac to your garden hose and siphon-vacuum muck out of your pond! Requires at least 50 psi garden hose pressure to operate efficiently. Also ideal for use in spas and small in-ground pools. Hose measures 8-1/2 ft long. Pole with vac head extends from 3 ft to 6 ft long.

Includes: Muck-Vac power head, telescoping pole, waste hose, waste hose adapter, vac head, and brush.
mollysma
Pond Guru

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09:55 AM »

Thanks bunny. That is one that I've looked at before and from the same place too!  Smiley

mollysma
Pond Guru

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »

Ordering my muck vac today!!! Yay!  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.