Raising new koi fry in an aquarium for the winter

(1/6) > >>

tbfoto:
Ok...heres the deal....I have a 1200 gal pond. My koi spawned twice this year. I pulled some of the eggs from the pond both times and have been raising them in  aquariums in my garage. I live in Indiana and the winters can get pretty cold here. It can get down to o degrees or below for several weeks at a time. My garage is not heated. My aquariums have heaters in them but I do not know how they will work in cold weather like that. The koi in my pond will usually just settle to the bottom of my 3 1/2 foot deep pond for the winter and do just fine as long as I keep an air hole open in the ice which can get 4-6 inches thick. My question is how cold to let the water in my aquariums get? I know I cannot let it freeze...but do I try to keep it up to temp to keep the new koi fry active and feed them all winter or should I let it cool and let these fry go dormet also. They are all pretty small yet (1/2-3/4 inch's). I'm not too sure they would have the food stored up to survive several months without being fed.

The water temp has been about 80 degrees since I put them in there. I'm assuming that if I kept the water above 50 they should continue to eat and be ok for the winter. They are too small to put into the pond as the larger koi would just eat them so I need to keep them in these aquariums for the winter.

I wanted to also note that my koi must have layed hundreds of thousands of eggs and I pulled about several hundred eggs each time. I have 6 left from the first spawn and only about 10 from the second. They are so fragile, plus I think they also feed on each other as I have some fry that have grown much more than others as the others disappeared.

Anyone with thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Tom

Dennis:
Quote from: tbfoto on September 22, 2007, 02:13:43 PM

Ok...heres the deal....I have a 1200 gal pond. My koi spawned twice this year. I pulled some of the eggs from the pond both times and have been raising them in  aquariums in my garage. I live in Indiana and the winters can get pretty cold here. It can get down to o degrees or below for several weeks at a time. My garage is not heated. My aquariums have heaters in them but I do not know how they will work in cold weather like that. The koi in my pond will usually just settle to the bottom of my 3 1/2 foot deep pond for the winter and do just fine as long as I keep an air hole open in the ice which can get 4-6 inches thick. My question is how cold to let the water in my aquariums get? I know I cannot let it freeze...but do I try to keep it up to temp to keep the new koi fry active and feed them all winter or should I let it cool and let these fry go dormet also. They are all pretty small yet (1/2-3/4 inch's). I'm not too sure they would have the food stored up to survive several months without being fed.

The water temp has been about 80 degrees since I put them in there. I'm assuming that if I kept the water above 50 they should continue to eat and be ok for the winter. They are too small to put into the pond as the larger koi would just eat them so I need to keep them in these aquariums for the winter.

I wanted to also note that my koi must have layed hundreds of thousands of eggs and I pulled about several hundred eggs each time. I have 6 left from the first spawn and only about 10 from the second. They are so fragile, plus I think they also feed on each other as I have some fry that have grown much more than others as the others disappeared.

Anyone with thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom,

If you want to keep them alive you need to keep the temp up so they will eat. Keep it if you can somewhere around 70-75* all winter long....Tom, make sure all the fry are the same in size, as they will eat one another if one gets bigger then some of the others. What kind of koi did the job.

tbfoto:
Thanks, Dennis. I'm not sure I will be able to keep a tank that warm out in my garage all winter. Maybe I will have to invest in more tank heaters.
 My female is a Gin Rin solid yellow "Yamabuki". She is about 15-17 inches long right now. She was born in my pond a few years ago and survived by herself.  Every one of the fry look to be just like her. I do not see any other color markings on any of them yet. The fry from the first spawn are 1-3 inches and solid in color. The fry from the second spawn 1/4-1 inch look to be just like them.

Tom

tbfoto:
This is not my photo but she looks like this one.

Dennis:
Quote from: tbfoto on September 24, 2007, 07:29:25 PM

This is not my photo but she looks like this one.

That is a Yamabuki Ogon, and a nice one I might add......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page