Forum Header

Share |

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 12:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
72857 Posts in 4360 Topics by 732 Members
Latest Member: ngomonkey
Search: Advanced search
+ Pond Plants Forum - Koi Forum - Pond Products Forum
|-+ Forum Front Page
| |-+ Pond and Watergarden Showcase
| | |-+ Hello all! - PICTURES
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello all! - PICTURES  (Read 91828 times)
*Lisa
#1 LIMIT PUSHER
Global Moderator
Pond Guru

Elgin, IL

Re: Hello all! - PICTURES
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »

oh we like racy!!!!!  Welcome back

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
But how not to drown in the rain"

Paige
Pond Newbie

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »

Ralph,
I read in one of your posts that your secret to plant growth is Miracle Grow.  Couple of questions.  Do you use the container sprayer made by Miracle Grow?  Are you very careful when spraying next to your pond?  How often do you fertilize? 

Whenever I use the sprayer it seems that the solution is too diluted and it takes a long time to actually get through the entire container.  Any advise you can give would be greatly appreciated!!! Grin
Ralph A
Resident Plant Guru
Pond Guru

« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »

I do use their little spray bottle that attaches to the end of a garden hose, but I unscrew the nozzle that comes with it and use my own nozzle in its place. I get more control over the spray, that way.

I am as careful as the next guy when it comes to spraying close to the pond, but I don't sweat it too much - some does get in.

After I spray the plants, I let the solution soak in, and then I go back and lightly sprinkle everything with fresh clear water to wash off the foliage and to work the solution down into the soil (so the next rain doesn't just wash it away... and into the pond.

I do this maybe three times per year (I'm zone 4a):
1. Now.
2. End of June.
3. Late summer.

Try to follow manufacturer's instructions: "even if the water is still blue, add more product..." Just use common sense and you can't go wrong.

Don't forget, your evergreens, roses, azaleas and fruiting trees will require something more then Miracle Gro!

Good luck!

Some sort of fun: www.rmabercrombie.com
plays with fish
Pond Guru

« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »

Wow!  This would be my dream pond!!
Ralph A
Resident Plant Guru
Pond Guru

« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »

Hi there! How's all my friends? We had a snowy winter, for Virginia:

* snow-2010-2.jpg (90.24 KB, 600x900 - viewed 202 times.)

Ralph A
Resident Plant Guru
Pond Guru

« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »

All of it has now melted (the pic above was taken three weeks ago.) Today, I saw my sedums and lilies and soapworts all popping up!

Here's the driveway. .. ummm somewhere underneath all that white stuff...  Roll Eyes

* snow-2010-1.jpg (154.27 KB, 750x1125 - viewed 177 times.)

Ralph A
Resident Plant Guru
Pond Guru

« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »

The pond came through AAA+++. I experimented this year by leaving some (actually quite a few) fallen leaves in the bottom... just like in nature. Sort of risky, but it paid off. They made a nice medium for my cold water bacteria, and I didn't need any boosters at all. I removed most of them last weekend.

She's percolating fine, and is clear as a bell! All the fish made it through the snow and ice. They are fat and happy, and the parrot's feather has been trying to propagate since mid-February (!!) even in spite of the snow, and the spider lily has already sprouted.

Other news: I finished my second novel (which is really my first), an epic adventure. I didn't do much with the first one, because of the erotic content.  Embarrassed

But this one is suitable for anyone 12 years and older. It's about a slave girl who no one wants anymore, and who perseveres in spite of all odds. She lives secretly in a library.  Grin

More later, best wishes and hello again to all!

- Ralph

* snow-2010-7.jpg (207.05 KB, 1250x833 - viewed 177 times.)

plays with fish
Pond Guru

« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »

Let us know when its on the shelf.  I love to read and that sounds right up my alley!
plays with fish
Pond Guru

« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »

Ralph are any of your water plants in soil?  From looking at the pictures they seem to be in a rocky sand mix unless you have the soil well hidden.  I am adding a bog with stream this spring and have been considering planting everything in gravel.  Have you had any experience with any plants that do not do well in that situation?
Have you ever grown Japanese primrose?  I planted them in a wet area where a spring comes to the surface and they are so exotic.  Each year they multiply and are so beautiful.
The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2010, 07:51:48 AM »

Welcome back soldier!

No you can't take my constitutional rights away from me, I am still using them!

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson, March 4, 1801

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Tana
NE Ohio
Global Moderator
Pond Guru

I'm a blonde. What's your point?

« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »

As always, good to see pictures and you too, of course.  I'm glad to hear your little experiment worked and that your water is fine.  Congrats on the new book.

Click for Medina, Ohio Forecast
Zone 5

Some people tell me I have a short temper. I prefer to call it A swift and assertive reaction to bullcensored.
Bexo
W PA.
Global Moderator
Pond Guru

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure...

« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »

ditto, what she said

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
NTGL - "Miss Goodie Green Shoes"
the secret to success is sincerity. once you can fake that, you've go it made.

Click for New Castle, Pennsylvania Forecast
Ralph A
Resident Plant Guru
Pond Guru

« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »

Ralph are any of your water plants in soil?  From looking at the pictures they seem to be in a rocky sand mix unless you have the soil well hidden.  I am adding a bog with stream this spring and have been considering planting everything in gravel.  Have you had any experience with any plants that do not do well in that situation?
Have you ever grown Japanese primrose?  I planted them in a wet area where a spring comes to the surface and they are so exotic.  Each year they multiply and are so beautiful.

==========================

I use rock over soil in the bog. To save time and to add a little more control I used 1/2 packaged soil (clay particles, not much more than kitty litter) and 1/2 stuff I dig out of my back yard. Then, rocks over that.

No sand. I tried some sand in places, but it doesn't percolate enough oxygen. It gets scummy.

I haven't done Japanese Primrose, but I do have a great place for them. the back side of my bog drops off radically, so the "moist" area comprising the overflow zone is always well drained. It's natural clay and sand.

The only thing I couldn't get going very well was a mosaic plant. It just liked to linger and rot, no matter what I did.

Shocked

PS the bog is my favorite part of the pond!!

Secret: to keep the bog-end cleaned out, I throw fish food into the shallows. Those big 'ol koi buggers (16") will literally "swim" (walk?) into an inch of water and thrash out all the scum and slop. Then the snails eat it!

plays with fish
Pond Guru

« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »

I know what you mean about the fish in shallow water.  I have an earth pond also. When we get a heavy downpour the fish get out to eat grass.  Its amazing how fast they can zoom across an inch of water. They look like one of those Everglade airboats skimming the surface.   So your whole bog side has soil below or only where you wanted to plant something?
plays with fish
Pond Guru

« Reply #269 on: May 07, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »

Ralph, the Japanese Primrose are blooming.  They are amazing!  I just wanted you to see what they look like.  I have them planted along a stream where a spring comes to the surface. 

* DSC_3068s.jpg (214.91 KB, 640x425 - viewed 185 times.)

* DSC_3070s.jpg (427.19 KB, 640x963 - viewed 186 times.)

* DSC_3075s.jpg (221.64 KB, 640x425 - viewed 164 times.)

* DSC_3083s.jpg (270.94 KB, 640x963 - viewed 169 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.