Forum Header

Share |

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 10:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
72877 Posts in 4365 Topics by 607 Members
Latest Member: PhillipHitti9
Search: Advanced search
+ Pond Plants Forum - Koi Forum - Pond Products Forum
|-+ Forum Front Page
| |-+ Pond and Watergarden Operation
| | |-+ Bio Filter Question
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bio Filter Question  (Read 6317 times)
EAD
Puddle Jumper

Bio Filter Question
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »

Hello all, I am new to the forum and this is my 5th year having my pond.

At the begining of spring I took my 300 gallon stock tank and filled it with pond water and removed all of the fish. I then drained the rest of the pond water, scrubbed off (as best as possible)  the years of attached alge and rinsed and shop vac'ed the sludge. I then re-filled the pond with the 300 gallons of pond water and put the fish back in and slowly replaced the remaining 1200 gallons over the course of 2 days.  All of this work somehow did NOTHING because the pond was just as alge ridden after a week of doing that.

Attaching the UV has done a good amount, but it still could be better.

Here is where my question comes into play.... I feel like I am forgetting something in the bio-filter.  Currently, in the top tray I have a layer of small rocks/filter media. I actually just added this a few days ago when I noticed my father had the filter media in the bottom tray and nothing in the top tray.  Then underneath that I have a square sponge filter, and then in the bottom tray I have a layer of lava rocks.

As you can see my set up is a bit unconventional, but that is because over the years I've mixed the common methods with my own ideas, and it's always worked out just fine... but this year I feel like I am forgetting something..... Maybe I threw something away last year?

Here is a picture of my pond as a bonus Smiley

(This is last spring, water isn't this clear now, lol.)

The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

Re: Bio Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »

Algae is a byproduct of an overabundance of nutrients in your pond water. First see if any of these apply:

1. Feed fish more than they can eat in 5 minutes twice a day?

2. Do you think your fish load (number of fish) is overwhelming your biofilter?

3. Have you seeded your pond with active bacteria?

Read this and see if anything causes a red flashing light: http://www.pondkoi.com/nitrogen.htm

No you can't take my constitutional rights away from me, I am still using them!

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson, March 4, 1801

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt
yankeewhaler
Pond Guru

usda zone 8b

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »

every time you change the water, you introduce a new batch of minerals that the algae love. there in the water, they will be reduced by a algae bloom. algae and plants use them for nutrients..
  before uv lamps we all accepted a week or 2 of pea soup, then the pond cleared as the minerals were used up..
  Annual things to do on start up..1 add good bacteria to the filter..2 replace the uv bulb there only good for 1 season...
  good luck

Click for Cottonwood, California Forecast
EAD
Puddle Jumper

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »

Thank you for the input guys!

I did not know that adding new water would contribute to the pea soup water.

I did re-seed with new bacteria about 16 days before posting the message on the forum and that has seemed to help.

I may have an over-abundence of fish as I added a few hundred 3 inch bait fish, (the left overs from my bait tank from the winter).  I would say there should only be about .  There is definently more than there should be in there, but at the same time it's not terrible, theres still a ton of open water.

How can I replace the uv light? I took apart the housing and couldn't get at the bulb.

Thanks for you help guys,
Ed
mika
I See Dead People
Pond Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »

mine screws in near where the cord enters if you know the brand you can prolly get instructions on the net      ps looks like a pretty heavy fish load even without the minnows

Click for the latest Tucker weather forecast.
smaug
perspective
Pond Novice

Perfection is the almighty's territory,not ours

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:23:43 PM »

I dont think you are overstocked but I wouldnt add baitfish as they carry parasites not common to goldys.As for spring cleaning,leave the junk on the liner that too is a biofilter as is any surface below waterline.In the spring simply do 20% water changes every 3 days for for a week or so.This is a far better practice to start the fish off on a good path for the year.Overcleaning a pond is the worse medicine.For your filter ,the best biomedia a few bucks can buy are lava rocks,simply rinse them very well and fill the whole bio area with them.What type uv light is it?

Pruny fingers and wet arms are the signs of a deranged mind and a beautiful aquascape.
EAD
Puddle Jumper

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:23:57 AM »

Thank you again for you inputs guys.

I am not sure the type of UV, I will have to look at the box today when I take pictures of the filter for you guys.

You think I am over stocked even without the bait fish?  I know that eventually when the koi are even bigger I will be, but for now I still thought I was good.

I know the bait fish have a lot of parasites. I told my father that before he put them in there. I wanted to find a small hidden pond to use as a natural bait tank but he didn't want to hear it. I will say that they are a bit of an added benefit as they eat alot of the microscopic stuff in there, but I am sure they do produce a ton of waste.

I don't know how many are left in there though as beleive it or not my 2 big koi were eating their heads so a ton of bait fish were be-headed the first couple weeks.
*Lisa
#1 LIMIT PUSHER
Global Moderator
Pond Guru

Elgin, IL

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »

ewww just the heads lol   I myself would not mix the bait fish with the koi right from the bait store..your taking huge risks that way.

You could rehome some of the goldfish...it looks like alot of fish in there lol

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~
"Oh Crap, She's up!"

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
But how not to drown in the rain"

smaug
perspective
Pond Novice

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »

You are not overstocked at the moment,if you have enough bio filtration.Your koi eat other fish?I have mollys and rosy reds in with my koi ,they never even look at them.

Pruny fingers and wet arms are the signs of a deranged mind and a beautiful aquascape.
Hey Jude
Nothing changes if nothing changes...
Pond Guru

"I'm....too sexy for my hat..too sexy...

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »

Could you possibly have a FROG in there beheading everything?  I didn't think koi ate the heads off other fish. Shocked

mika
I See Dead People
Pond Guru

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »

on offence jude but you didn't think hawks ate fish either as far as koi eating minnow heads I've never heard of that either but I thinks that's more likely than frogs they eat them whole

Click for the latest Tucker weather forecast.
smaug
perspective
Pond Novice

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »

My best bet on what is eating the heads off the fish would be some sort of insect.This would be after the minnow died naturally.Frogs dont chew and koi dont eat the heads off of fish.

Hey Jude
Pond Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »

True, I thought hawks went mostly for terrestrial prey.  My bad.  So who's doing the beheading, then?

smaug
perspective
Pond Novice

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

True, I thought hawks went mostly for terrestrial prey.  My bad.  So who's doing the beheading, then?
read the above post
and hawks dont eat fish,only raptors such as eagles and osprey use fishing tactics.

Hey Jude
Pond Guru

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »

I didn't think they did, Smaug, but I was corrected..maybe they eat whatever is easiest?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.