Forum Header

Share |

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 08:10:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
72857 Posts in 4360 Topics by 734 Members
Latest Member: jonny077
Search: Advanced search
+ Pond Plants Forum - Koi Forum - Pond Products Forum
|-+ Forum Front Page
| |-+ Golden Nuggets of Wisdom (Moderator: Tana)
| | |-+ Koi and Turtles? Can they coexist?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Koi and Turtles? Can they coexist?  (Read 10186 times)
sbtang
Puddle Jumper

Koi and Turtles? Can they coexist?
« on: February 23, 2007, 08:45:42 PM »

Hi there,

I am relatively new to raising koi. I currently have about five koi , about four inches long. Nothing special about these koi, i picked them up at the local petstore. I have medium size outdoor pond.

I am thinking about adding some turtles to my pond, but I wonder if Koi and turtle can coexist? Are their any species of turtles that will not attack the koi? If so, can someone make some recommendations?

Also, is this even a good idea? If this is not recommended, please let me know also.

Thanks!

Steve
The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

Re: Koi and Turtles? Can they coexist?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »

Sorry for the late reply, we were in the process of moving our pc's and getting reorganized. Most turtles do not attack koi. However a baby snapping turtle will feed on small koi. But I think you should just do some research on the type of turtle you want and make sure it only eats bugs and vegetation.

No you can't take my constitutional rights away from me, I am still using them!

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson, March 4, 1801

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt
amyshunt
Founding Member
Pond Fanatic

Pond and Koi Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »

I am interrested in having a couple of turtles in my pond too!  I have heard that it isn't a good idea, but I'm not sure why, other than, you need to have your pond fenced or your turtles will leave.  Have you found out any additional information regarding coexistence I am very curious about that and have done some research but haven't found a lot of info.  I gave it up when I found a website that told about native turtles and their habitats, it said that my county didn't have any naturally existing native turtles.  Not sure how they know that for sure.  Please post if you find out more.  Thanks! Amy

Lovin' my pond!!
ikeepkoi
Founding Member
Pond Newbie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:31:49 AM »

Turtles can live/coexist with koi, but I wouldn't recommend having a turtle in a koi pond.  I'm also not a believer in putting large snails in a koi pond either.  Both turtles and snails are just another possible source for parasites and decease entering your pond. 

If you live in a county/state that has no natural turtles, you might check to make sure introducing turtles into an outdoor pond is even legal to do in your county/state.  Nowadays, there are more and more laws being passed/enforced restricting the introduction of NON-native species of fish and animals into the outdoors environment.
amyshunt
Founding Member
Pond Fanatic

Pond and Koi Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »

Thanks for the advice!  Smiley  I think I will take it, I found out that I would have to bring the turtles inside for wintering which means yet another thing to clean.  I am all about less work for the glory of having this pond.  In other words if it is something that is going to create more work than the enjoyment that we will achieve from having it, then forget it.  But I feel that way about everything not just my pond.   Grin  Thanks again!!

Lovin' my pond!!
ikeepkoi
Founding Member
Pond Newbie

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:29:53 AM »

I am all about less work for the glory of having this pond.  In other words if it is something that is going to create more work than the enjoyment that we will achieve from having it, then forget it.  But I feel that way about everything not just my pond.

LOL!!  I know what you mean about less work is better.  I'm getting too old to be doing things that cause a lot more work.   Shocked)

* 126740cmmlkohaku1.jpg (84.23 KB, 1858x982 - viewed 201 times.)
The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:47:50 AM »

That is a REALLY sweet 4 step Kohaku you have there on your post. Strong colors, nice pattern development, hood is centered and clean.

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson, March 4, 1801

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt
ikeepkoi
Founding Member
Pond Newbie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:52:23 AM »

Thanks a bunch for the complament.  That's one of my pond ladies.  She was just short of 18 inches last time I measured her (Oct 2006). 

About two weeks ago I lost a pretty fair 15 inch female GR Kohaku to a family of Raccoons.  The critters pretty much destroyed a larger 17 inch male Sanke at the same time.  The Sanke got away from them, but not until after the Raccoons left some deep bite puncture wounds and a large oval area of missing or totally messed up scales on him.  Am trying to nurse him back to good health and it looks like he will recover, but he'll probably always look pretty shabby.
These are last year photos of the two koi mentioned above.

* SJK-35cm(13in) Female Gin-Rin Kohaku6275-190082620557-350x226.jpg (45.13 KB, 350x226 - viewed 188 times.)

* sjk-15 Malel Sanke-7500-190077576487.jpg (68.94 KB, 1818x1073 - viewed 272 times.)
The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:40:11 AM »

I am amazed at the depth of red color and the brightness of the white in those koi. That is hard to find. Do you feed them special color diet food? Plus that sanke has the "wet ink" look that only the japanese breeders seem to get.

Glenn
Founding Member
Pond Guru

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 08:16:09 AM »

Very nice looking Koi, sorry to hear about the racoons. I guess I'm lucky I have not had any critters after my fish except the one snake that got one when it was an inch long.....

"I Like to start with a clean piece of paper and a Dirty Mind"

Click for Gulfport, Mississippi Forecast
amyshunt
Founding Member
Pond Fanatic

Pond and Koi Member

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:53:16 AM »

I agree completely!  I know very little about what makes a Koi show quality and am not sure what makes certain ones more valuable than others but I know an attractive fish when I see one  Shocked  and you have some beautiful Koi.  Please excuse me, I hope I don't offend you by using beautiful to describe your male.  I hope you don't mind but I coppied your pictures to use on my computer for my desktop.  I won't use for any other reason than my personal enjoyment.   Wink  I am in this recreationally.     

Lovin' my pond!!
ikeepkoi
Founding Member
Pond Newbie

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 10:25:23 PM »

Gee, .... Thanks again for the compliments. 

No, I don't really use any special color enhancer foods.  I've been using mostly ShoKoi food, (I won 50 lbs of it in a NAWGS auction a little over a year ago).  I like to give the koi fresh shrimp pieces about every other week, and alternate feeding them fruits such as water melon, and orange slices.  They really like both of the fruits, but the orange pulp can be a pain to clean out of the pond when they're done with it.  One other thing I feed my koi (at least once a week) is the real small pellet sized Blue Ridge basic food (about 1/16th in. diameter).  I take a handful of the food, stick my hand in a bucket of water to wet the food real good, then toss the food into a plastic bag with a bunch of koy klay in it.  I shake the bag until all pellets of food are covered with the koi klay, then spread the food out to dry.  After drying the food, I bag it for later use.  Once a week, I feed them with the koi klay covered food (they really love it).  The koi klay has very good minerals and such that are good for the koi.

Believe it or not, none of the koi I've posted photos of are Imports.  They are all domestically bred in California.  The gentleman who breeds them used Japanese imports to originally start his business, but I don't think he's bought any imports for many years. 

Amy, .... I have not problem with you using the photos however you want to.  The female GR Kohaku that was eatten had an orange-ish color to it because of the GinRin.  The GinRin scales on my fish show up as a kind of chrome pearl on the shirogi (white body color) and a orange-ish gold on the beni (red) patterns.  If you click on the picture, this 13 inch koi of mine will let you see what I mean.  It really pops out at you when the koi is in the sun.

* SJK-34cm(13) Male GR Kohaku-3700-190096782093.jpg (71.8 KB, 908x586 - viewed 267 times.)
amyshunt
Founding Member
Pond Fanatic

Pond and Koi Member

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »

Thanks for the use of your pictures,  she is the one I have on my desk top now.  She is very nice to look at.  I am sorry that she is no longer with you, maybe it helps to know that she still brings enjoyment.    Very nice.  I like that you put the English next to the Japanese word.  This makes it easier to understand and remember what it means.  My sister gave me some clay(a different brand) for my pond she also used it in the water to polish it.  I will try it when I add new water.  Do you leave the rind or peel on the fruit when you feed it?  I guess that is probably what makes it float.

Lovin' my pond!!
The Skipper
Paul
Forum Admin
Pond Guru

3-Hour Cruise?

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »

ikeepkoi you are killing me with these photos! I looked at it blown up and it is stunning but I am sure you know that...   Shocked

The metallics, when bred right can blow your mind. I would love to have that breeder's website. Do you have it?

ikeepkoi
Founding Member
Pond Newbie

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a website presently.  I suggested he open a website, and even offered to build the site for him.  I don't know whether he's going to or not.  I gave him my phone number and told him to give me a call if he wants me to build a site for him, but have heard nothing from him.  Guess I just have to wait and see if he calls me.  If he does, I'll post the URL.

The pictured Tancho Sanke was another of the fish lost to those Raccoons.  This koi was 9.5 inches long and I had high hopes for it.  The Raccoons ate only its head off and dropped the body behind a nearby cedar tree.  I originally thought the body I found was to another similar (but not nearly as nice) Tancho Sanke I have, but realized my mistaken identity when I found the other koi still in my main pond.

* SJK-24cm(9in) Fml Tancho Sanke-11900-190079894759.jpg (54.85 KB, 910x608 - viewed 259 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.